Monday, March 28, 2011

Heirlooms vs Hybrid Tomatoes

There is a lot of discussion and disagreement among gardeners lately about what makes a great tomato. Those who like to grow Heirlooms are in one camp while the Hybrid lovers are in another. The New York Times published a good article about this question recently. You can read it here.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/garden/24seeds.html?hpw

My mother always grew Celebrity (hybrid) and found it to be a great choice. I have to admit I agree with her and have started several in my little farm of baby tomatoes. However I am also growing Amish Paste and Golden Jubilee which are Heirlooms. I want to see how these varieties perform this year in the new garden now that I will finally have room to experiment with several types! The seedlings have just started to get their second set of leaves this week and I am already dreaming of the great taste of a homegrown tomato on my favorite sandwich of all time a BLT!

No comments:

Post a Comment